The Grange, Romsey Road, Michelmersh
Romsey SO51 0AE
Helping translators to be effective when carrying out technical translations. Identifying resources. An exploration of what constitutes ‘technical translation’, its forms and formats, its originators and users, its functions and purposes.
We will be attempting to share understandings on the following questions:
– What type of technical documents do we all translate?
– What constitutes a technical or scientific translation?
– Where do we get our work from?
– Simplified Technical English (STE) – what exactly is it?
– Technical vs linguistic skills?
– What specific events or societies exist for your source and target languages?
– What dictionaries do people use?
– What other websites are useful?
– Any other specific tips or tricks
– Particular issues or bugbears.
We will look at 3 topics: document types & targets; languages & special knowledge; resources & issues… and anything else that crops up.
We are grateful to Wessex Translations for making their facilities available.
The exchange will be preceded by lunch at the Bear & Ragged Staff, Stoneymarsh House, Staff Rd, Michelmersh, Romsey SO51 0LB at 12 noon.